Goes well with To Die For Potatoes a la Sous Vide
8 chicken thighs, skin on
3 tablespoons (45 ml) sumac powder
3 tablespoons (45 ml) smoked black pepper
1 liter vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 cup Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons Mediterranean herb seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
2 teaspoons chili (red pepper) flakes
Sea salt, as desired, to sprinkle on at serving
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide
Supreme to 140F/60C.
2. Sprinkle chicken all over with sumac powder and smoked black pepper.
3. Arrange pieces in a single layer in a large cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
4. Submerge in the the SousVide Supreme to cook for 2-1/2 hours.
5. Just before the chicken has finished cooking, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the coating mixtures using 3 wide, shallow bowls:
7. Remove chicken from the the SousVide
Supreme, open the pouch, and one by one, dredge each thigh
in flour, then dip in the egg wash, and then roll in the panko mixture until
fully covered. Repeat with remaining pieces.
8. Drop the pieces gently, one by one, into the hot oil, turning all sides until fried crispy. Do not overcrowd the pan. Work in batches, if needed.
9. Remove cooked chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Strawberry Corn Relish
Makes about 3 cups
6 ripe strawberries, washed, trimmed and chopped
2 cups (450 g) corn kernels, fresh or frozen/thawed
1 tablespoon (14 g) butter
4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
1 tablespoon (15 ml) champagne vinaigrette (commercially prepared or your own recipe)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) smoked sea salt
1. In a cast iron pan or other heavy
skillet, over medium high heat, add the smoked sea salt, then the scallions and
lightly sauté until the scallions are softened.
2. Add the corn and continue to cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the vinaigrette and transfer the mixture to a bowl.
4. Add the butter and stir lightly.
5. Fold in fresh strawberries.